GAZE 2015 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
GAZE International LGBT festival is delighted to announce that submissions are open for Irish and International shorts and features for GAZE 2015. The festival is particularly interested in nurturing homegrown LGBT filmmaking talent, so if you are currently in production, or have a completed film, GAZE would love to hear from you.
To submit your film, or for more information, contact email@example.com.
Gaze International LGBT Film Festival will take place over the 2015 August Bank Holiday weekend, July 30th to August 3rd. The festival celebrates LGBT storytelling, with an exciting programme of film and events that will engage filmmakers and audiences in a vibrant social experience.
GAZE on Tour 2015
GAZE International LGBT Film Festival Dublin, with the support of The Community Foundation Of Ireland, are collaborating with access>CINEMA to bring you the first phase of GAZE on Tour.
GAZE is delighted to collaborate with access>CINEMA and announce the First Phase of GAZE on Tour 2015, screening The Case Against 8 around Ireland in the coming months.
The Case Against 8 is an account of the epic five-year legal battle that overturned Proposition 8. Co-directors Cotner and White take us on a riveting, hold-your- breath, behind the scenes look at the historic Californian trial that overturned the controversial constitutional amendment. The story first made headlines with the unlikely pairing of Ted Olson and David Boies, political foes who last faced off as opposing attorneys in Bush v. Gore. The film also follows the plaintiffs, two gay couples who find their families at the centre of the same-sex marriage controversy. This extraordinary film provides fly-on-the-wall coverage of a trial the public was never allowed to see.
So far GAZE on Tour have 9 confirmed venues, with others still to be announced. Marriage Equality, the Irish Council for Civil Liberties, and GLEN, the Gay and Lesbian Equality Network, will host panel discussions to coincide with the screenings in selected venues. GAZE on Tour has been very successful for the last two years, but this will be the biggest project by far.
Playdate: 4 February
Venue: Droichead Arts Centre, Drogheda, Co. Louth
Playdate: 16 February
Venue: Mermaid Arts Centre, Bray, Co. Wicklow
Playdate: 18 February
Venue: Pavilion Theatre, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
Playdate: 22 February
Venue: Garter Lane Arts Centre, Waterford City
Playdate: 27 February
Playdate: 4 March
Venue: Draíocht Arts Centre, Blanchardstown, Dublin
Playdate: 18 March
Venue: Galway Film Society, Town Hall Theatre, Galway City
Playdate: 18 March
Venue: Dunamaise Arts Centre, Portlaoise, Co. Laois
Playdate: 15 April
Venue: 69 O Connell Street, Limerick City
Playdate: 23rd April
Venue: Riverbank Arts Centre, Newbridge, Co. Kildare
Playdate: 14th May
Venue: The Model, Sligo Town
* Check individual venues for details
2015 GAZE International LGBT Film Festival Dublin
GAZE Festival Programmer
Application Deadline 5pm, 15/12/14
We seek to appoint a Festival Programmer to deliver the 23rd Annual GAZE International LGBT Film Festival 2015 on the August Bank Holiday weekend. The programmer curates the GAZE Festival and is responsible for conceiving, developing, budgeting, and implementing the artistic and programmatic focus of GAZE 2015 in consultation with the Festival Manager and GAZE Board of Directors.
Start Date: TBD
Period of part-time, and period of full-time in the immediate lead up to the 2015 GAZE Film Festival.
Must be available for some evenings and weekends, particularly during the period immediately prior to and during the GAZE festival.
Remuneration negotiable & commensurate with experience.
GAZE Ltd. Board of Directors in partnership with the GAZE Festival Manager.
Commitment to excellence in the arts and a passion for LGBT cinema as well as knowledge of LGBT history, culture, and diversity.
- Direct experience programming and curating film events plus involvement and/or knowledge of distribution and festival programming is highly desirable.
- Strong computer skills should include use of excel spread sheets, web-based databases and familiarity with online social networking tools
- Demonstrated financial and logistical negotiation skills
Film Selection and Festival Programming
Responsible for programming and scheduling festival screenings and events in consultation with the Festival Manager and other stakeholders.
- Selection of the GAZE Festival’s film programme: Obtaining screening copies of fims from the marketplace and via call-out. Where appropriate, involving consultation with selection committees, and also consideration of films that are solicited by the Festival Manager, and other key stakeholders.
- Organising the screening schedule for the festival in consultation with the Festival Manager. Responsible for creation and maintenance of the programme grid and liaising with the venue managers and Festival Manager with regard to the schedule.
- Devising, planning and realising festival events to run alongside and compliment the film programme e.g. Gala screenings, Filmmaker Q&A’s, Panel Discussions, etc.
- Programming the festival requires excellent short- and long-term planning skills; proven ability to work both independently and as part of a team; and the ability to meet deadlines.
Screenings: The festival weekend
- Working closely with the Festival Manager to ensure the smooth running of the festival weekend.
- Liaising with venues and the Festival Manager regarding projection.
- Responsible for liaising with venue staff and the Festival Manager regarding the technical production of screening sessions as well as Q&As’, master-classes etc.
- Organising festival sessions and master-classes related to guest filmmakers, producers, distributors or cast at the festival in consultation with the Festival Manager. Programming all Q&A sessions at the festival and appointing minders to special guests.
- Working alongside the Festival Manager on the invitations to filmmakers and international guests for the festival, and in concieving and preparing other events.
- Liaising with cultural organisations and film councils to support visiting filmmakers including fundraising for such.
- Responsible for ensuring the organisation of hospitality and guests liaison, including travel and hotel bookings for the festival, and other events.
Budgeting & funding
- Researching funding opportunities related directly to the film programme and creating funding applications to relevant funding bodies.
- Ensuring that expenditure in relation to the programme, and other events is within budget and for the financial administration of the programme, and other events.
- Responsible for liaising with other film festivals, distributors, broadcasters, film schools, film makers, the media, and others to solicit films for the festival’s programme, and other events.
- Where possible attending national and international events, conferences, markets and festivals on the company’s behalf to research films and film makers and to promote the GAZE Film Festival, and other events.
- Negotiating with filmmakers, distributors and sales agents for screening rights for films, negotiating hire fees where applicable, and issuing contracts. Actively negotiating for UK and Irish premieres for a large portion of the programme.
- Ensuring the secure and punctual transport of prints for the festival, and returning said prints to their distributors where appropriate. Liaising with the Manager and Board regarding insurance for prints.
- Delegating tasks to the Film Festival Intern who works on a voluntary basis to assist in delivering the film programme of the festival.
- Engage other constituents – e.g. individual volunteers, committees, board of directors, Festival staff, arts and LGBT community – for advice and support.
- Consulting with the communications sub-committee in archiving the programming materials after the festival, including press, promotion and other materials.
- Formally monitoring and tracking the subsequent ticket sales of films programmed at the Festival.
Press & PR
- In consultation with the Festival Manager ensure the provision of marketing and press information on the film, filmmakers, and sessions for the festival; for example, the soliciting and collation of press materials and copy, photographic prints, trailer prints, video clips, web clips.
- Responsible for writing copy for selected film for the festival brochure and website and liaising with the brochure and website publishers.
- Represent GAZE Film Festival Ltd. in outreach, publicity, fundraising events and solicitations.
- Strong social media skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
Applications with CV to – firstname.lastname@example.org